ITBS Definition: ITBS is the acronym for Iliotibial Band Syndrome and it’s defined and identified by the following points:
- Excessive friction between your Iliotibial Band and your knee joint or hip bone
- This causes pain at either the side of your knee or the side of your hip (the outside of the knee joint)
- It’s usually caused by increasing your running or cycling and building up too fast and/or with bad technique
- ITBS can be associated with other activities such as hiking or weight-lifting (especially squats) but is normally caused by the repetitive action of running/biking
- Most commonly occurs in the knees (one or both knees), but can also appear at the hip joint. This is not uncommon at pregnancy, where the tendons can loosen a bit and the weight distribution shifts.